Saturday, March 29, 2008
Argh!
Here's the problem I've been encountering lately...
People get hung up on words.
What do I mean? Well... I mean that people take what others have experienced through revelation and systematize and dogmatize the crap out of it.
I was referenced by a friend to a website of a man who has some pretty strong statements on what he believes is true christianity - and that the current church in general is very wrong (he calls it the Whore of Babylon).
His bold claims of calling others to his side threw me for a loop for a minute. It totally contradicts other things I've heard all of my life about God and christianity. What I have decided to do instead of choosing between them is to leave them both, in a sense.
Instead of following either one, I have decided to trust God. What?! Novel concept!
Yes.
This I hold to be prime: Knowing God.
If I truly believe He is the Shepherd of my soul, and that He lives in me and I know Him... Why don't I ask Him about these things?
There is ample scripture to back up what I'm saying, but I won't go into it.
Because what I have discovered is that you can use scripture to back up just about anything you want. You can say Jesus is wild. You can say He's gentle.
You know what? He's a person, with a whole range of character and emotion (not inconsistent, but multi-faceted).
And He loves me. And I love Him. And I know Him, and He knows me. If I ask Him something, He said that He'll give me a fish and not a stone.
Now, back to words...
I'm weary now of producing an aesthetic manifesto. Why? Because people will take the words and make them into universal rules that must not be transgressed, or else you will sit outside of our aesthetic circle and not ever be welcomed in! Hmph!
You've got people who make beautiful music that make no money, and I respect them.
You've got people who make great music and lots of money, and I respect them.
You've got people who make ugly music and pave the way for great music, and I respect them (sometimes).
And then you've got people who make not-so-great music. Whether they make tons of money or not, I don't have much love for that mode-de-vie.
I am still planning on writing about my discoveries in the Scriptures, life, and other sources about music.
Shoot, I feel like just copying "The Mysticism of Sound and Music" and releasing it under my name! Ha ha, but I won't.
Anyway, I do believe in the primacy of the individual-to-God relation. And He is the Source of ALL, so I will go to Him for ALL.
I am still going to church, because you know what? God shows up. I love that place, even though I'm not always on the same bandwagon. He has spoken to me many-a-time at this place. But even that place is very limited in what it can show me about God. Everyone is.
But God.
:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
True true. I don't disagree. But I will say, to quote scripture which anyone can do for anything,
Ephesians 1:23:
"the church, which is his body, the FULLNESS of him who fills everything in every way."
It does say the church is the fullness of him. That says something, more so than just an aspect of him, though I also do think that is true.
Talks to come, brother (said in a cool, slang, gangsta way, not a midwest christian way).
-James Harrison Monaco
Post a Comment